HISTORY OF SOURIS HISTORIC LIGHTHOUSE AND SOURIS BY THE SEA TREASURES
1880 - Souris East Lighthouse was built at a cost of $620. The square tapered tower, clad in wooden shingles,
stands 45' base to vane. It has 3 flights of stairs leading to the lantern room which is completely surrounded
by glass windows. The lantern was made by the Chance Brothers of Birmingham, England.
1881 - an attached dwelling was added
1911 - An oil shed was built
1947 - A pump house was added
1951 - The old barn was torn down
1957 - A storage shed was added
1959 - The dwelling was detached and moved from the site to Main Street and a new dwelling was built
1961- One of the first mercury vapour lamps used by the Canadian Coast Guard was installed
1991 - the second dwelling was removed to MacPhee Ave. when Francis McIntosh retired as the last lightkeeper.
2009 - the Lighthouse was transfered to Souris Harbour Authority
2010 - Souris Harbour Authority refurbished the lighthouse, opening it for tours and a nautical gift shop.
2011 - Souris East Lighthouse was recognized as a heritage place under the Prince Edward Island Heritage Protection Act
2012 - Souris Harbour Authority expanded with a new building on the site which houses the nautical gift shop
"Souris by the Sea Treasures"
2015 - Souris Harbour Authority refurbished the "top" of the lighthouse and painted the body. They also did
necessary repairs and refurbishing of the interior - all ready for your visit!